The University of Illinois is committed to world-class translation education and to the art and craft of translation.
The Translation Studies program provides a combination of rigorous academic study and substantive real-life experience.
Educating the Next Generation of Translators
The Center for Translation Studies is a collaboration among the School of Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics, the Creative Writing Program, and Dalkey Archive Press to educate translators and to prepare them for the exciting opportunities available to them in today’s global economy.
Translators see a growing demand for their services in:
- International corporations
- Governmental and non-governmental agencies
- International organizations
- Web-based companies seeking to provide multilingual resources
- Publishers translating world literature
- Firms creating translation tools
The Center for Translation Studies offers world-class translation education and real-world opportunities to practice the art and craft of translation.
From Baoulé to Zulu
The School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics offers BAs, MAs and PhDs through a broad range of programs that articulate with the Center for Translation Studies.
Students benefit from:
- Faculty with expertise in more than 30 languages and a wealth of translation experience;
- Language-specific workshops and courses on translation theory and practice; and
- Opportunities in all major areas of linguistic research, including computational linguistics
Real Life experiences
Internships will be available through corporations, hospitals, law firms and legal aid agencies, nonprofit organizations, translation service providers, publishers, and community agencies. Study abroad opportunities are available in the European Union, Latin America, and Asia.
The University’s internationally renowned library is building a comprehensive translation studies collection to support the program.
The center has a state-of-the art Interpreting facility with ISO standard booths in the Illinois Fire Service Institute on the UIUC campus.