ONLINE PROGRAM IN APPLIED LITERARY TRANSLATION
Dalkey Archive Press and the Center for Translation Studies at the University of Illinois in
Urbana-Champaign are continuing the successful online certificate program designed to help
translators at any point in their early careers, and successful completion will result in the publication of their first book-length translation. This program represents a unique opportunity for translators to hands on experience in literary translation publishing.
August 27, 2014 - May 4, 2015
Application Due Date: June 1, 2014
1. Provide practical, invaluable translation and editorial experience to beginning
translators who have not yet published a book-length translation.
2. Result in one book-length translation per enrollee to be published by Dalkey Archive
Who is this program intended for?
The program is intended for translators who are at a point in their careers where they
are ready to undertake professional translation work but do not know where to go next,
and is especially for those who require a flexible schedule because of geographical
limitations and other commitments.
The program is highly competitive and is intended for promising translators who can
demonstrate their readiness to work at a professional level. Five students will be
selected based on the strength of their application materials, and the relevance of their
background to the kind of literature that Dalkey Archive publishes.
During the course of the yearlong program, translators will:
- Do sample translations of books that Dalkey should consider acquiring, and learn how to write readers’ reports, cover letters to editors, queries to publishers and agents, grant proposals, and other secondary documents necessary to professional translators.
- Have the opportunity to complete at least one book-length literary translation to be published by Dalkey Archive Press, with an emphasis on literary fiction; books to be
translated will be selected by Dalkey Archive Press in consultation with the translator.
- Receive frequent and individualized feedback from Dalkey Archive editors and Center
for Translation Studies faculty on translation work.
- Work directly with authors as well as other translators.
- Center for Translation Studies faculty will be assigned to train applicants via e-mail, skype, and phone.